15 Checkpoints When Purchasing An English Springer Spaniel Pup
15 Checkpoints When Buying An English Springer Spaniel Pup
Purchasing an English Springer Spaniel puppy is the initial step on the long road of pleasure and companionship with these wonderful creatures. So, it’s important to get it right and these suggestions will allow you to do that. There is a saying “let the puppy pick you”, but that’s all right up to a point, as you however want to be sure the new pup is basically healthy.
In case you have done all the preliminary checks on the pup – parents’ pedigree, prize winners in last two generations and so on then we come to the finer points.
A pup is by definition quite young, so we WOn’t know the way that it’ll grow, and therefore have to rely on the appearance of the parents. The things we can check on the mom (and possibly the dad too if he is around) without being judging experts are:
1. Height equal to span is not bad?
2. The forelegs – Does the mother stand with pigeon toes or with paws ideally paws right ahead, or splayed?
3. Are the hindquarters muscle and powerful looking and are the rear paws pointing forward? The rear legs shouldn’t be raked or perpendicular much, and should have a moderate rake back.
4. Parallel should run with the dog’s back and not rise above it.
5. The paws should look as a continuation of the legs and the toes shouldn’t be splayed (which could lead to injury).
6. The coat should be polished and healthy looking, but not curled or rough. Feathering should not be excessive.
7. In addition to the basic liver and white or black and white coloring, some tan markings are acceptable, however just on the eyebrows, on the cheeks, inside the ears, under the tail, and sparely on the lower legs. Blue roan is an acceptable color in the US.
In case the mom checks out nicely in these respects, and has a good natural gait with the legs swinging straight forward then that should all be a good index for her pups.
1. A liver colouring ought to be dark and rich.
3. Deep blue eyes that are not running or weeping (deeper color now means a deeper hazel colour in maturity).
5. A jacket which is smooth and lustrous.
6. Assess the teeth for right bite – upper teeth have the jaw is set square and a close overlap on the lower teeth.
7. In case the pup is older than 8 weeks afterward both testicles must be entirely descended for a show-line dog.
The puppy should overly fat or too fat. An enormous tummy could point to worms.
The above check list is not exhaustive but will give a good general indication of the pup’s likely development.